Menu

Sládkovičovo city

Our hotel Tevel is located in the center – on the main street – of an industrial and agricultural town Sládkovičovo.

First written documents about the town of Sládkovičovo (in Hungarian also referred to as Diószég) are found in the letters of King Béla IV. and go as far as 1252. The name of the village supposedly comes from a “walnut forest”, which was back then found here.

In 1301 was the leading family of Diószég the family of Milóš Dudvagy, whose ancestors were working in the agriculture business for quite some time before. In 1337 Péter Orros became a new lord, to whom King Lajos I. confirmed the ownership of the village’s land. In 1530 the village was a victim of Turkish attacks, which destroyed the entire village and its surroundings. In 1553 Sládkovičovo had 22 family houses that belonged to a line of Budínske Klarisky all the way until Jozef II. set a final end to this line. During this time, the village fell under the control of church, from which it was bought by the Erdődy family, and later sold to the Esterházy family. In 1582 Diószég was granted the title of being considered a town and in the 17th century so called king’s route led through its center. The town had the full right to organize selling markets and collect tolls. During this time, two important buildings were already standing in Diószég. Both standing on the main street was our famous castle and church. During the revolt and rising of Ferenc Rákoczi II., the town was strengthen by czar’s duke Quidó Stahremberg, who unfortunately was not able to prevent the town from large fire, which in 1709 burned down the its entire area and surroundings.

Czar Jozef II. inhabited the town along with German craftsmen and farmers in 1786. Later, two different towns were created; one being German Diószég and the second being Hungarian Diószég. After the Esterházy family, the owner of the town became the Zichy family. In 1850 railroad tracks connecting an important route from Bratislava to Budapest were built in Sládkovičovo. This led to an industrial development of the entire southern region. In 1867 a beet sugar factory was built thanks to Austrian bankers, who were led by the family of Baron Karol Kuffner. In 1870, Sládkovičovo again received the title of being called a town.

Two World Wars, two agricultural crises, the deportation of Jews to concentration camps in 1945, the displacement of all Germans and Hungarians in 1946 who were sent to Czech Republic and the later coming back of Slovak families from Hungary, Romania and Yugoslavia, drastically changed the cultural and national structure of Sládkovičovo’s inhabitants.

Between 1948 and 1989 Sládkovičovo worked its way up to a post of a small industrial city, with a blooming food-processing industry and a large agricultural production.

Official websites of Sladkovičovo